Friday, September 3, 2010

Regret installment #1

I was thinking today about some things about my trip that I regret. I will mention them from time to time as they come up for me.  

I regret not going to the Shipwreck museum in Sault Saint Marie MI.  I have always been fascinated with the Edmund Fitzgerald...you know, "the dawn came late and the breakfast had to wait, as the waves turned the minutes to hours..." I was right there and could have stopped.  I wish I would have.    I think I didn't stop because I wanted to get someplace, but I would have been in a perfectly good place if I had stopped. 

I am thinking about what comes next less and less these days.  I am learning to be where I am.  I think that if the trip began today I would know more about that "good ship and true."  At least I can thank Gordon Lightfoot for telling me about it in his own way.  I don't really care that I "missed something" but I do care that I am not more easily moved aside by God.  I read these words from Anthony Bloom recently:  "You remember how you were taught to write when you were small. Your mother put a pencil in your hand, took your hand in hers and began to move it. Since you did not know at all what she meant to do, you left your hand completely free in hers." 

I wonder how many things and people I have passed up because of my plans and not relaxing my hand...

No comments: